Monday, May 17, 2010

A Quick Texas Trip

This weekend I had a quick but wonderful trip to Texas.  What was already a short weekend became shorter when my flight from Portland to Dallas was rerouted due to thunderstorms in the DFW area.  I was supposed to land at the DFW airport at 11:45am on Friday morning, but my plane was rerouted to the Killeen/Fort Hood airport where we sat in a tiny terminal for 4 hours.  This was a total bummer because I was really looking forward to spending Friday afternoon with Sarah, Emily and the kids.  But I finally made it to Dallas at 5:00pm just in time to swing by to see Hannah, Alice Anne and Carter before their bedtime and then meet up with my friends for dinner.

Friday night, a group of us had dinner at Eno's in the Bishop Arts District.  The food and atmosphere were wonderful... and the company was even better.  I loved getting to spend time with my wonderful college friends and hear about everything that's going on in each person's life.  At one point, I tuned out on the conversation as I looked around at this incredible group of girls and realized how lucky I am to have each of them as my friend.

I spent the night at Emily's house both nights.  So Saturday morning I was woken up early by little Carter running downstairs in his pjs calling for "Aunt Mar Mar".  I was able to spend a little time with him and Sarah before they headed back to Waco that morning.

All of the hostesses for Merrill's baby shower came over early to help set up and we were able to kick back and relax as we ate Chick-fil-a for lunch (oh how I miss those nuggets and waffle fries!).  The baby shower on Saturday afternoon was great!  It was good to catch up with old friends and watch Merrill open presents as everyone "oo"ed and "ah"ed over all of the complex baby gadgets.  Merrill is such a cute little pregnant woman and just listening to her talk about the baby made me realize what a great mom she is going to be.  I teared up when I first saw her with her cute little belly.  I couldn't picture her being pregnant until I saw her and putting my hand on her belly, and feeling the little feet kick made it all so real.  I can't wait to meet baby Carl(a).

After the shower some of us had dinner at Manny's where we ate the Tex Mex I've been craving ever since my last trip to Texas.  The margaritas, queso and fajitas were everything I wanted and more!  This Mexican food fix should last me until this Friday. maybe.

And yesterday was strictly a family day.  Brunch with Mom and Dad and the Belfs, lots of playing with Hannah and Alice Anne, driving around with Uncle Les, and dinner with Aunt Judy and Uncle Bob.

Even though it was a short weekend, it was well worth the trip!  It really couldn't have been better (beside the whole layover in Killeen thing).  I loved having so many of my friends and family all in one city - that hardly ever happens!  Don't worry, pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment