Thursday, December 16, 2010

Anne in Portland

One of my best and longest friends, Anne Olson, came to visit me in Portland for a long weekend.  Anne and I have known each other since we were seven years old.  We went to elementary school together at Hillcrest PDS as well as high school together at Waco High.  Some of my fondest memories of me and Anne include a 5th grade trip to New Orleans with our French class, our elementary school theater show (S.O.S.), high school choir and show choir, vacation with her and her parents in Santa Fe, countless nights and weekends hanging out at Barnes and Noble with her and Sydney, and making the roadtrip up to Portland together nearly two years ago.

Young Mary and Anne at Hillcrest PDS.
Please notice the appliqued, oversized, tucked-in tshirt and the one shoulder overalls.

Sydney, Mary and Anne at a WHS Choir concert.  You've gotta love the silk vest and bow tie, crushed velvet dress and sweet letter jacket.

I'm so excited that Anne was able to visit me in Portland now that I really know the city and could show her around.  She got to see where I live, visit some of my favorite spots and meet my friends.  She flew in this past Thursday; we went to happy hour and caught up on life.  We realized we hadn't actually seen each other since last Christmas - crazy!  Then she came with me to my home community group.  I was able to take off from work a little early on Friday and we headed to Cannon Beach on the Oregon Coast.  We stayed at a great resort and had an amazing view of the ocean and Haystack Rock from our balcony.  We ate some delicious clam chowder at Mo's that night, then watched one of our favorite movies, Once, together and just relaxed.  The next morning we wanted to go for a nice little walk along the beach, but it was pretty windy and rainy so we just ran down there, took some pictures, and headed back indoors.  After a yummy brunch, we headed back to Portland.

I've been wanting to visit the Portland Art Museum to see the Lee Kelly special exhibit.  Lee Kelly is Portland's most well-known sculptor who donates one of his amazing pieces to our auction each year.  I knew Anne would appreciate the art museum as well, so we went straight there on Saturday afternoon.  After grabbing some hot tea at Stumptown, we headed home to rest a little before a progressive dinner that night.

Our first stop of the night was at The Bagdad for cajun tots and beer with my friends Megan, Alan, Drew and Madison.  Then we headed to The Montage, a very hip Portlandy cajun restaurant, then to a great European-style pub called The Horse Brass.  It was a great night with good food and even better company!

Sunday morning, we pulled ourselves out of bed and made it to the early Imago Dei church service.  I was excited for Anne to be able to visit my Portland church since we went to the same church, Dayspring Baptist, in Waco for a while.  Then we had a nice brunch at Isabel's in the Pearl District and headed over to the Portland Saturday Market under the Burnside Bridge.  Despite the oddities and quirkiness of the market, its one of my favorite things in Portland!  Anne found a unique flower hanger and I got an awesome picture of the St. John's Bridge (which I ran across in the Portland Marathon).

That night we met up with one of her old college buddies for an early dinner then went to see The Nutracker ballet.  I haven't seen that ballet since I was probably about 6.  It was incredible.  Really beautiful.  We stopped by the Moore's advent party to say hello to them and then headed home.

Monday, Anne enjoyed the city by herself while I was at work and that evening we went to see the Portland Zoolights.  I love Christmas lights!  The zoo was completely lit up and we rode a train through the whole area.  We topped off the night with dessert at Papa Hayden's, the best dessert spot in town.

I loved getting to spend so much time with Anne and really catch up on life.  Anne is such a dear friend and I value our relationship so much.  Thanks for coming to visit me Anne - you'll have to come back up when the weather is a little nicer!

 eating crepes at a food cart

 in front of Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach

 dinner leftovers at The Montage with Megan

the festive ZooLights train

after riding the zoo train

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you got so much in while Anne was there...and you working too. You are the ultimate Portland tour guide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. y'all did so much!! i seriously can't stop thinking about twilight whenever i see your pictures of any outdoors...sue me

    ReplyDelete