Wednesday, July 29, 2015

2015: A Year of Learning

It’s been quite a while since I last sat down to write out a blog post.  And a lot has changed since then.  A whole lot.  In fact, I can hardly think of anything that was the same at the beginning of this year as it was at the beginning of last year.

When 2015 rolled around, I heard someone mention a tradition, a New Year’s Resolution if you will, of having a word of the year.  One word that would be a focus or a theme for that whole calendar year.  I liked the idea and imagined what might be a good word for my upcoming year.  Almost immediately the word LEARN came to mind.

Learn /lərn/
verb: gain or acquire knowledge of or skill in (something) by study, experience, or being taught.
synonyms: grasp, master, take in, absorb, assimilate, digest, familiarize oneself with

We’re a little over 1/2 of the way through the year, and I can say that I have LEARNED a thing or two so far in 2015.

Another word that would well describe this year would be change.  There has been an unbelievable amount of change in my life over the past several months… getting married (I could stop right there), moving to a new area of town, changing jobs, changing my name… all quite drastic changes.  Changing banks, transitioning out of my church home group, getting ready to sell my car, even chopping off my hair… if you’re going to change one thing, why not change it all, right?!

When I decided on the word LEARN as my word for 2015, I was simply feeling that my brain could use a little more stimulation.  It has now been 7 years since my official educational training ended, and I have gotten a little stagnant in really exercising my brain.  Some ideas on how I would incorporate the word LEARN into my year: pick up a book more often, stay up-to-date on the news, get back into watching documentaries, maybe buy the Spanish Rosetta Stone.  You know, push myself a little bit.  Challenge myself a little more.

But I’ve LEARNED that the previously mentioned changes that all occurred at the beginning of this year gave me all the push and challenge I needed.  I was anticipating change as I entered this new phase of life.  What I didn’t anticipate was how steep the LEARNING curve would be!

So I’m holding on tight as I travel through the curves of LEARNING this year.  But I’m LEARNING to not hold on too tight to old habits, preconceived notions, or the simple default of “that’s just the way it’s always been.”  LEARNING often means change.  I look forward to looking back on 2015 and seeing how much I’ve LEARNED and how much has changed in this year.

Back on the Blog
In an effort to continue "stimulating my brain", and because I've really missed writing, I am committing to be more consistent with blogging again.  So look for more posts coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment