Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Mount St. Helens

Monday was quite an adventurous day as I climbed my first mountain here in the Northwest. My friend Drew is an avid mountain climber and his equally adventurous friends Ross and Brandon flew up from Waco to experience the northwest climbing scene.

We left early Monday morning and drove an hour north to Skamania County, WA.  St. Helens is a 8,900 foot active volcano that last errupted on May 18th, 1980. Much of the mountain is covered in ash which feels like hiking in white sand. The weather wasn't the best - we got some rain, a little sleet and a whole lot of fog and clouds.  After about 4 hours of climbing, we ascended about 4,600 feet and reached the summit.  On a clear day, you can see Mount Hood and Mount Adams from the summit.  Unfortunately, the clouds kept us from seeing that incredible view.  Reaching the summit was an incredible experience and with it came a feeling of great accomplishment.

At times the climb was difficult, but I loved being out in nature with no distractions.  I couldn't have asked for a more peaceful day with any better company.  Being on a mountain really makes you think about things that I guess you just don't have time to think about when you're busy and surrounded by other people.  While on the mountain I felt completely content.  I can't believe that these mountains are right here in my back yard.  This climbing thing is kind of addicting... I think I've found a new adventure sport for myself!

The Glory of Nature
I think it ticks God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it.... People think pleasing God is all God cares about.  But any fool living in the world can see its always trying to please us back.  
~Alice Walker, The Color Purple

No comments:

Post a Comment