This evening, one of the worst nightmares came true: my phone completely died and I was disconnected from the world. For three hours. I thought my phone was dead for good. Not because of old age, not because the battery burned out, but because I handed it to a 6 month old. Yes, I willingly handed it to a 6 month old. Bad idea. Obviously.
I was taking care of two babies during a meeting at church this evening. They were doing fine until one of them got fussy and set the other one off. So they both started crying. I just couldn't get little Abigail to stop crying. After trying everything (rocking, bouncing, swaying, singing) I decided I should just go ahead and page her mom. So I pulled out my phone to send an SOS message and baby Abigail instantly calmed down. It was as if the lights and buttons hypnotized her. At that point, I was just glad she wasn't crying and let her suck, drool, spit and slober to her little heart's delight. From that point on she was a perfect angel. She was giggling, laughing and babbling. After about 30 minutes I said, "Hey Abigail, do you want to call Uncle Daniel and tell him hi?" (Her Uncle Daniel is a good friend of mine from Murdock.) I reached over and grabbed my phone, which slipped around in my hand due to slobber, pressed the phone book button... and nothing happened. Dead. I couldn't revive the wet thing. I was frustrated at myself, but decided to just let it go and take it in to the Sprint store tomorrow. Abigail and I had a great time playing the rest of the night. She sucked on her teething toys, pacie, and bottle the rest of the night.
When I got home, my phone still wouldn't turn on so I put it in a bowl of rice. I had heard about this crazy trick for if you accidently get water (or baby drool) in your phone. The rice absorbs the moisture. And what do you know, it actually worked! After 20 minutes of sitting in pile of rice, my phone turned back on and I was back in business.
Moral of the story: don't give your phone to a baby. Duh.