Saturday, July 20, 2013

Spontaneity

I found out yesterday afternoon that John Mayer was playing a concert in Portland… that night. I had no plans for the evening and I had been listening to his new album Born and Raised all week and absolutely loved it. So I frantically got on craigslist to search for tickets to the sold out show. I was finally able to find someone who had two extra tickets, met them downtown to make the exchange30 minutes before the show started, rushed to pick up my friend Amber who was up for a spontaneous fun night, and made it to Clark County Amphitheater just in time for John Mayer to take the stage.

What an amazing show! He is a seriously talented musician and so much fun to see live. Amber and I had a great time hanging out on the lawn at Clark County Amphitheater, listening to some great music. I’m so glad that I made the quick decision to do something I wasn’t planning to do.

Those of you who know me know that I love planning. I like to know what I’m doing, when, where and how I need to prepare. If you’ve come to visit me in Portland, you’ve most likely received an email two weeks before your visit with an excel spreadsheet outlining what we will be doing on your trip. We will definitely be doing fun things, but they will be fun well-thought-through things.

I could use a little more spontaneity in my life. It’s something I’m working on. That’s right: I have a plan to add more spontaneity to my life. Is that an oxymoron? But the truth is that some of the most rewarding and epic experiences aren’t the ones you plan, but rather the opportunities that you weren’t expecting but are there for the taking.

I have this Dove Chocolate Promise message taped on my wall at work. It’s the best I’ve found and it’s a great question to ask when a moment of spontaneity presents itself. Hey, why not?!

such a fun night with my good friend Amber

glad I didn't miss this epic concert
seriously, check out the Born and Raised album

No comments:

Post a Comment