Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Texas Birthday/Football Weekend

Last weekend I traveled to Texas for a surprise visit for my Mom's 60th birthday.  My dad and I were scheming about this for a little over a month, and we actually pulled it off without leaking the surprise to my mom.  Robby came with me to Texas, too, and we flew into Waco just in time for the Baylor vs. OU game.  My parents always go up to the Bear Club before the game so we surprised my mom by showing up there.  She was shocked!  Then we all headed out to the game to cheer on the Baylor Bears with 50,000 other fans.  I've never seen a Baylor game like this - it was amazing!  The Bears remained undefeated by winning 41-12.  Sic em!

It was pretty great to be home and in Floyd Casey Stadium

 
And great to see lots of Baylor friends
 
Carter, the Baylor sports guru, at his craziest

Robby's first Baylor game - he knew all of the chants and cheers by the end
 
Friday morning we met up with my Granddad and Barbara for breakfast at Café Cappuccino.  I hadn't seen them since last Christmas so it was great to spend some time together.  Then we headed over to Baylor campus to give Robby the quick tour.  I'm amazed at how much the campus has changed each time I go back!  Robby and I met up with Liesl and her husband and new baby and Hannah for lunch at Vitek's then stopped by Congress Clothing to get new tshirts to show our Baylor pride back in Oregon.  We had to get coffee at Common Grounds of course and my sweet friend Kimberly who recently bought CG sat down and chatted with us for a bit.

I loved getting to meet Liesl's 12 week old baby Scarlett, even if she did spit up on me a cry during this picture :) I can't believe my friends are moms!

Friday night we had a little birthday dinner for Mom at Sarah's house.  The Belfs came down from Dallas and Steve and Thanne were in town from Portland so they joined as well.  I put together a birthday project with my mom by having family and friends send in notes and pictures for us to tie onto balloons for her.  It turned out pretty great and she loved the sweet notes from everyone.

Could Henry be any cuter?!  Helping me set up the balloons.

lots of birthday notes!
 
Happy Birthday, Jammy!
 
fireworks
 
Saturday was our day to really celebrate Mom.  We sent the boys off to the golf course, Dad took care of all four kids (way to go, Dad!) and Emily and Sarah and I took Mom to get manicures and pedicures then to shop for a new birthday outfit at Roots.  That night we all went to dinner at El Conquistador for Mom's birthday dinner.  Glad I got some good Tex Mex in while I was in Texas!  

the girls getting pampered

fun celebration
 
After a relaxing Sunday morning, Robby and I said goodbye to the family and headed down to Austin with Ross and Hannah to see a few more friends before flying out.  We met up with Whitney and Bill and Merrill and Chase and kids for lunch.  It was so great to be with this wonderful group of friends that I've known for so long.  My cousin Madison just moved from Portland to Austin a couple of weeks ago, so we stopped by his new place.  I sure do miss that guy, but it was great to see him and our friend Ben settled into their new city.  Then we all met up again for queso and margs at Hula Hut before Robby and I went to the airport to head back to Portland.
 
our Austin boys
 
the Hula Hut crew
 
It was a whirlwind of a weekend in Texas (it always seems to be that way), but it was a great weekend full of time with friends and family.  I'm so glad we were able to fly down to surprise my mom and celebrate her birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment