Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Goddaughter Cecilia

This Sunday I became the godmother to precious Cecilia Anne Schobert.  Cece's parents, Matthew and Camden, moved from Waco to Portland about 3 years ago and they have become like family to me.  Matt was actually one of my youth group leaders at 7th & James when I was just a confused little teenager.  Now he is someone I talk theology and life with over beers as a complicated young adult.  It crazy to think that I have known him for half of my life (which equates to about 1/4 of his life - love you, Matt!).  I've gotten to know Camden since they've lived in Portland, but I've known her family and extended family through various, random Baylor connections.  Cece is now a little over 3 months old, and is lucky to have 2-year-old Trey as her big brother.
 
Little Cece is such a happy baby with the chubbiest, cutest cheeks you've ever seen.  I have yet to see her cry (at least for more than 10 seconds) and she smiles and laughs at the smallest things.  She's a true joy and I am honored to take on the special role of godmother to her, and watch her grow into the beautiful woman God has created her to be.
 
after the baptism ceremony at St James Lutheran

the Schobert family
(poor Trey wasn't feeling well that morning)

godmother Mary, Cece, Camden, Trey, Matthew, godfather Rick (Matt's friend from college who now lives in Denver)
 
the whole crew, including Camden's mom from California, at Petite Provence for brunch after the service

 Cece with the blanket I knitted for her baptism gift
she spit up on it several times which I'm pretty sure is how she shows her love
 

Borning Cry
This is the song that the congregation sang at the end of Cece's baptism.  I love the words - they are a great depiction of the roles of parents and godparents (spiritual "sponsors" of the child) and really the community as a whole which surrounds her.  There have been many people in my life who have rejoiced with me, cheered me on, guided me, and helped raise me as a child of God (and continue to do so!).  My hope and prayer is that I can do the same for little Cece.

I was there to hear your borning cry, I’ll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized, to see your life unfold.
I was there when you were but a child, with a faith to suit you well;
In a blaze of light you wandered off to find where demons dwell.
When you heard the wonder of the Word I was there to cheer you on;
You were raised to praise the living Lord, to whom you now belong.
If you find someone to share your time and you join your hearts as one,
I’ll be there to make your verses rhyme from dusk ’till rising sun.
In the middle ages of your life, not too old, no longer young,
I’ll be there to guide you through the night, complete what I’ve begun.
When the evening gently closes in, and you shut your weary eyes,
I’ll be there as I have always been with just one more surprise.
I was there to hear your borning cry, I’ll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized, to see your life unfold.

1 comment:

  1. Little Cece is fortunate to have you for her godmother. And I love the blanket, by the way!
    I have just recently heard this song, and loved the words. Can't believe I had never heard it before.

    ReplyDelete