Thursday, February 4, 2010

Snowboarding Adventure

Yesterday I went snowboarding for the first time ever. The last time I went skiing was when I was probably 12 years old and with my family in Santa Fe. All winter I’ve been dying to make it up to the slopes. So I took a “personal day” from work and headed up to Mount Hood with my friends Stephanie and Julian. Steph is also a beginning snowboarder (although she is a long boarding pro). So Julian taught us the ins and outs of snowboarding and pretty much babysat us on the mountain all day. Thanks Julian!

We went to the Meadows Ski Resort, which is probably the most popular skiing place around Portland. The scenery was gorgeous and it snowed most of the time we were there which made the slopes nice and powdery. I walked up to the rental counter to get my boots and the guy looked at my shoe size and automatically brought me ski boots. “I’m actually snow boarding,” I told him. “Oh, you look like a skier.” I guess next time I need to show up with a few tattoos, some piercings and baggy pants.  I guess to make me look more legit, he gave me a snowboard with zombies and skulls on it.  Pretty hard core!

So I got my gear, strapped my boots onto the board and did the awkward scoot up to the ski lift. Getting on was the easy part. Getting off is a different story. Julian coached us and gave us tips on how to get off the lift and slide down the little snow ramp. I managed to do everything wrong and fell flat off of the lift and got nearly run over by the big metal chair passing over my body. The lift manager stopped the lift, Julian scooped me out of the snow and I dragged my board (and my pride) out of the way of all of the elementary-aged snowboarding punks that slid right off of the lift with ease. Later in the day I waived to a cute little boy (about 7 years old) who skied past me at the bottom of the hill. He barely glanced at me, gave a quick wave and then looked away as if he was embarrassed to be associated with me. Maybe it was because of the snow that clung to my pants, gloves and cap from all of the tumbles I took.

Our first attempt down the green run went pretty well. There were definitely lots of wipe outs, but I was surprised at how easily Steph and I both picked up on it. I guess we were just made to board! The most difficult part was getting back up after falling. Having both feet strapped into the board made it tricky to lift yourself back up. I took several face plants and feel like I have a bruised rear end today, but every time I just got back up and tried it again. I had a tough time getting out of bed this morning. I feel like I have whip lash… or pretty much like I was flat out whipped yesterday. But I can’t wait to hit the slopes again! Make sure to tune into the Olympics later this month – you just might see Steph and me boarding down the Vancouver slopes!

Stephanie and I getting ready to hit the slopes

check out my sweet board!

Snowboarding Flashback
I've never been fond of snowboarders.  This negative connotation comes from a less-than-positive "run in" with a snowboarder when I was about eight years old.  It was on one of our family ski trips to Eagle's Nest, New Mexico when I was first learning to ski.  I had been in ski lessons all morning and was finally on my own on the slopes doing my esses back and forth down the mountain like my ski instructor had taught me.  I was minding my own business, gradually making my way through the snow when all of a sudden out of nowhere a snowboarder comes flying down the mountain right across my path.  Instead of mowing me over, he picks me up and carries me down the mountain!  He keeps saying,"I've got you. I've got you" as we bounce down the slope together.  At the bottom of the slope we come to a crash landing where he falls flat on top of me, burying my face in the snow.  I haven't had the best attitude towards snowboarders since that encounter, so I'm out to change my own perception.

2 comments:

  1. I used to ski and while living in Santa Fe learned to snowboard. I'll never go back to skis, I love snowboarding! If you can make it through the first day of a sore butt and other muscles you never knew you had, you'll be able to do it again. Maybe someday we can board together:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go cousin mary. you're such a bad asssociate! yeah!.. that's your job title, right?! ha anyway... congrats on your 1 year anniversary-- i shall come upon it in a few weeks myself! ;)

    ReplyDelete