Monday, August 2, 2010

Summer Reading

Remember when summertime used to mean three-month long sabbaticals, relaxing vacations, daily adventures, and a much-needed break from the norm?  Well those days are long gone and my summertime adventures are cut down to two-day weekends and books that help me escape in my mind.  In the past few months, I've rediscovered my love for reading and have figuratively been on many amazing adventures.  I have:



- traveled to Pakistan to help build schools for young boys who otherwise might fall under the power of the Taliban and young girls who otherwise might never receive an education that empowers them with confidence and self-worth









- followed my dreams across Egypt in search of treasures - a journey that lead to faith and wisdom









- been confined to a hospital bed due to "locked-in syndrome" with my memory and imagination as the only escape









- lived in Brooklyn in the early 1900s and overcome the hardships of poverty and family tribulations










- and most recently, hitch-hiked across America reaching the final destination of the Alaskan wilderness







I highly recommend each of these books.  This was my 3rd time to read the Alchemist (my all-time favorite book), my 2nd time to read Three Cups of Tea (my 2nd favorite book), and my first time to read Into the Wild (which has quickly become my 3rd favorite).

What books would you recommend?

Favorite Book Quotes
“When you want something with all your heart, that’s when you are closest to the Soul of the World. It’s always a positive force.”
- Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

"If we try to resolve terrorism with military might and nothing else, then we will be no safer than we were before 9/11. If we truly want a legacy of peace for our children, we need to understand that this is a war that will ultimately be won with books, not with bombs."
- Greg Mortenson, Three Cups of Tea

"The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
- Chris McCandless, Into the Wild

2 comments:

  1. I read Into the Wild while living in Seattle and loved it too! Ollie just read it in the past 6 months and enjoyed it as well! Just the other day a friend told me about the Alchemist so I think I'll have to check it out! Some girlfriends and I are starting a book club and will meet every 6 weeks. Our first meeting is this Thursday. I'm excited b/c I love to read, but w/ two kids I find it hard to sometimes fit it in. I think being a part of a book club will make it happen. I'll be thinking of some books to share w/ you and get back to you! Happy reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finally reading "Three Cups of Tea"! I'm so glad you're still finding time to read. I feel like maybe I'll have time to do that as well now. One of life's wonderful blessings!

    ReplyDelete