Sunday, July 10, 2011

Kayaking

This is going to be the best summer in Portland... because I now own kayaks.  Last weekend, I went kayaking for the first time ever in a friend's borrowed kayaks and absolutely loved it.  There's just something about being out on the water that is so peaceful, soothing and enjoyable.  Kayaking is the perfect summer activity around Portland because there are so many great spots in the area to easily drop a kayak in the water and enjoy some amazing scenery; whether its on the Columbia River, the Willamette River, the Deschutes River or a nearby lake.  So I decided that investing in kayaks would be a great idea because I was sure to get plenty of use out of them.

So a few days ago I bought a pair of kayaks on a whim.  Today Megan and I took them out on their first excursion on the Willamette near Sellwood Park in SE Portland.  It was the perfect afternoon.  I have a feeling that this is what every weekend is going to look like from now on.






Palindrome
I just realized that KAYAK is a palindrome: spelled the same backwards as it is forwards.  There aren't many words like that, but my niece Hannah and my friend Hannah always point out that their names are palindromes as well.  So here's a little story about kayaking in palindrome form...

Megan and I headed out to the river sometime after NOON.  When you talked about the Willamette, many people say, “EWE, GAG! That water is dirty.” But I’ve had my EYE on getting out on that river.  The water LEVEL is unusually high on the river, but we stayed safe and didn’t even have to yell SOS. I rowed hard and the KAYAK moved as fast as a RACECAR. Thankfully I didn’t injure my ROTATOR cuff. When I told my fam about the kayaks, DAD and Uncle BOB said, “HUH, you know how to KAYAK? WOW, that’s a pretty sweet GIG!” And MOM told me to wear sunscreen (which I DID so my skin wouldn’t get REDDER). Maybe someday I can take my niece HANNAH out, but for now she’s just a TOT. There are many more kayaking SAGAS to come!

1 comment:

  1. How fun! Hope you are doing well, Mary and I will get you some of those recipes ASAP!!

    ReplyDelete