Sunday, July 26, 2009

Baptized in the Water

Today after church, the Imago Dei community gathered at Rooster Rock Park for a baptism celebration. I've never witnessed a baptism like this. I'm used to 8-year-olds being dunked in a baptismal within the walls of the church during a brief 5 minutes of the service. This was a completely different experience. The whole church gathered to support these 15 people and to celebrate as they publicly professed their faith in Jesus Christ. It was a party! There were picnic baskets, jump houses, snow cones and live music. And what I loved most is that we were in a public place. The Christians were baptised in the Columbia River amid other Sunday afternoon picnicers, sun tanners and jet skiers. It was a wonderful way to witness to others. What a joyous occassion!






Salvation through the Holy Spirit
"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit... "Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John.
Matthew 3:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment