Monday, March 8, 2010

Short Cast

After being in an aweful full-arm cast for the past 2 weeks, I was so excited to visit the doctor today and get it replaced with a shorter cast.  I haven't allowed anyone to sign my cast because I'm trying to remain somewhat professional (although I know I look like an 8 year old anyway).  But yesterday I pulled out the sharpies and let people go to town on my cast since I was getting it cut off the next day.

So Dr. Chesnutt walks in today and says "Alright, so today we're just going to check to make sure nothing has moved around in there."  I stared at him and said, "And replace this thing with a short cast, right?"  "Uh, I'm not sure about that."  He wanted me to keep the full arm cast on for another week!  "No, you don't understand - you have to cut this cast off.  I let people sign it yesterday only because I would be able to cut it off today!  And I haven't bent my elbow in over 3 weeks!  People constantly think I'm awkwardly waving at them or trying to ask a question."  I begged and pleaded. When I finished stating my case, he and his resident went to confer with the casting nurse about this disputed case.  They finally reached a verdict... and I'm glad to say that I know have a short cast!

It's still a hard cast, but it's below my elbow.  Having a short cast isn't all I was hoping it would be, though.  It's still heavy and the muscles in my right arm have atrophied.  However, the muscles in my left arm have grown with use.  So I look like Popeye on one side and Olyve Oil on the other.  I am trying to keep it in a sling as much as possible so as not to cause further damage or slow the healing process.  But I must say, I've never been so excited to scratch and rub lotion on my arm before!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment