Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bike Camping

What a weekend! I think I'm training for a triathalon (without even meaning to)! I went on two great runs around Reed campus on Friday evening and Saturday morning. The campus is gorgeous and there is a small pond hidden in the woods that is nice to run around. Then Saturday afternoon, a group of us decided to bike to Oxbow Regional Park in Gresham, Oregon - a 25 mile ride. So we loaded up our water bottles and sleeping bags and headed down the Springwater Corridor (a great biking/running path) toward Oxbow. We stopped at Safeway to load up on hot dog and smore ingredients, then kept treking. The 2 hour ride was beautiful and we ended with an intense downhill slope into the park. Once we found a place to set up camp, we walked down to the river and just relaxed. That night we made a camp fire, enjoyed a typical yet delicious camping dinner, sat around and chatted, then snuggled up in our sleeping bags on the hard ground and dozed off. This morning, my roommate Kathy and I woke up at 6:30 to head back to Portland. Remember that nice downhill ride into the park that I mentioned... well it was not so nice and breezy this morning. We walked the 1.5 mile hill then started the rest of the bike ride home. It was a great outdoor adventure, and I'm pretty pooped. But I recieved a last-minute offer to hike Mount Tabor this evening and I haven't made that trek yet, so I couldn't say no. Life in the northwest is quite an adventure!


the route from Adele's house to Oxbow Park

1 comment: