Monday, March 2, 2009

Just Relax

I've found several great ways to simply relax and enjoy life. Not that my life is stressful or anything - it's quite the opposite. But it's nice to take a moment to take a deep breath every once in a while.

I started going to yoga classes at my gym several times a week. I LOVE yoga! It's hard to pinpoint exactly what I love about it, but I always leave the class feeling strong and refreshed.

Some weekends I go to a coffee shop just to enjoy a latte, listen to music, write some emails, or visit with a friend. Portland has hundreds (maybe thousands!) of coffee shops. My goal is to visit as many of them as possible! Not in one day, of course - can you imagine the caffeine buzz?! So far I've been to Starbucks (duh), Stumptown Coffee, Urban Grind, Sip and Kranz and Castello Cafe.

Yesterday I walked to the grocery store instead of taking my car. Although it rained on me on the way home (typical), I enjoyed making an outing of my grocery trip instead of just a quick errand. And it's good exercise so I didn't feel so guilty when I got home and ate some of the food!

There are several easy ways to just relax if we will consciously make the decision to loosen up and enjoy ourselves for a moment - even a brief moment. For example, I'm sitting here by the fireplace writing this blog post right now. At first I turned the tv on, then I realized that the background noise was just a distraction and wasn't necessary. So I turned it off. Today at work I listened to my Frank Sinatra Pandora station while I performed my daily tasks. Being able to hum along as I worked made those tasks that much more enjoyable!

Try just sitting still for a minute, take in a long, deep breath (with a grin on your face!), and let all the air out until there is no more air left in your body. Don't you feel positive, refreshed and relaxed?

One Day at a Time...

Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will take care of itself.
- Matthew 6:34
Cast all your cares upon Him; for He cares for you.
- 1 Peter 5:7

No comments:

Post a Comment