Sunday, August 9, 2009

Texas, Our Texas

I'm back in Texas for the first time since I moved up to Portland. I flew into Dallas Friday night and the first thing I thought as I looked out the airplane window when we were landing was "Man, Texas really is flat and full of wide open spaces!" Some friends picked me up from the airport and greeted me with signs that said "Welcome to Texas!" (don't ask about the nickname)with the state flag on them. We drove straight to Gloria's Tex Mex Restaurant. I was so excited for real Mexican food and a frozen margarita - yum! It was great to see old Baylor friends and get to catch up with everyone.


Saturday morning a small group of us met up with my college roommate Merrill for breakfast. I hadn't seen Merrill since she got married last November. She and her husband Chase are moving to Chile on Wednesday so getting to see her was a must! It was great to spend some time with her, even if it was just a couple of hours.

Then I headed over to my sister Emily's house to spend the rest of the weekend with her family. I could hardly wait to give Hannah and Alice Anne a big hug! The whole family was standing in the front yard when I pulled up and Hannah was jumping up and down waving her hands. She was pretty excited and wound up all day, but I loved playing with her all day. She showed me all of her toys and everything in her room as if I had never been there before. Alice Anne was so sweet as usual, but was feeling a little sick. The little booger bear played and laughed with Hannah and I, but was a little fussy and tired at times. I can't wait to see them again in Waco in a few days.

My cousin Robert drove me to Waco late this afternoon and spent some time at my parent's house before heading over to Sarah's house to spend time with her family. I was so excited to hold little Carter and see if he had grown any since the last time I saw him! He is a little sick, too and it was almost his bedtime when I got over there so he was a little fussy. I tried to hold him but he cried when I did - I think he's scared of me! He laughed and played when Jammy or Papa held him, but when I tried to take him he would freak out. We even tried to be sneaky and slip him into my lap facing away from me, but he would turn around, see who was holding him and start crying. He was a little better when I helped give him a bath tonight and put him to bed. I think he'll warm up to me soon.
I'm having a great time catching up with everyone that I haven't seen in so long. It's amazing how much things can change in 6 months - especially how much the little ones grow! I'm excited to be able to spend a whole week in Texas (although I would take the Portland weather over the humidity any day).

The Texas State Song

Texas, Our Texas! All hail the mighty State! Texas, Our Texas! So wonderful so great! Boldest and grandest, withstanding ev'ry test, O Empire wide and glorious, you stand supremely blest.

God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong, that you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.

No comments:

Post a Comment