Thursday, August 6, 2009

Faithful Friends

Over the past few weeks, two of my best friends have moved away from Portland. This has been a difficult time of transition with people leaving, my job coming to a close, and uncertainty in the future. I couldn't have asked for a better experience in Portland so far, though. Carrie and Daniel are two friends who were there for me from the beginning and really helped me get adjusted to life in Portland. They were both huge blessings to me and I can't thank them enough for their friendship.

To Carrie: I can't tell you how grateful I am for our automatic friendship that started the day I began working at Murdock. For a while, you were my only friend here in Portland and you were such a lifesaver. I was never lonely or homesick during my first months here and I think you were the reason for that. Thank you for inviting me to movies, on trips to Seattle with your girlfriends, over to your house to hang out, and everything else. I think we hung out together every single weekend for the first six weeks I was here and you were always so great about making me feel a part of your group. You were a friend I could talk to about anything and everything (and there aren't many friends like that). You have been a huge part of my life over the past six months - I can't even put it into words. I miss you dearly here in Portland, but I know that a new and exciting adventure awaits you in Washington D.C. I can't wait to come visit you out there and you had better come visit me in Portland soon, too! I love you!


To Daniel: Oh Mr. Reeser, I don't even know where to begin with you. I have you to thank for my sanity and stability here in Portland as you were my devout counselor. I always looked forward to the days where you would come into work at Murdock. I know we joked a lot about our "counceling sessions", but those talks really were theraputic and uplifting for me. I don't know why I felt so comfortable spilling my thoughts, feelings and life story to you after knowing you for such a short time (it must be those crafty counseling tactics they are teaching you at grad school), but you were always an incredible listener and gave me valuable words of wisdom. There was never a dull moment in the office when Daniel was around, whether it included you creepily sneaking up on me, an update on your latest facebook conversation with my mom, a glass friend named Socky, cardboard baby carriages or chairs, phone calls from the front desk "just checking in", showing off our 1st place awards, or catching a look that only my counselor would notice and understand. Thank you for being someone to listen to my success and struggles, my excitements and frustrations, and my little and not-so-little issues. You are an invaluable friend to me and I miss your smile (not to mention your snazzy ties and sweater vest) around Portland. I am so excited about your upcoming wedding and your new beginning down in Grants Pass!


No comments:

Post a Comment