Friday, August 21, 2009

Thank You Murdock

This was the last week of my internship at Murdock. I can't express how sad I am to leave the workplace and how grateful I am for such a wonderful opportunity. Steve Moore mentioned the internship to me about a year ago and I thought, "Sounds good. Why not?" I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I never could have imagined how incredible the experience would be. Murdock is what brought me up here to Portland and it has been the best move I've ever made. The opportunities given to me over the past 7 months have been once-in-a-lifetime opportunities and I have learned so much about the foundation and nonprofit world as well as about myself.

Murdock has taught me how the workplace ought to be. The culture of the office combines individual jobs and responsibilities with a team who is strong because of their dedication to the company mission. I loved getting to know the wonderful and brilliant people in the office and I felt completely comfortable stopping in any of their offices to chat, ask a favor, or get advice.

My supervisors, Terry and Mary, were incredible! They are my northwest dad and mom. They invested so much of themselves in each of us interns. Each morning we would all gather in Mary's office and catch up on each other's lives, tell funny stories and just enjoy one another's company. I will miss these times together.

My fellow interns made the experience what it was. They weren't just summer coworkers, they are friends. We had more fun times, great conversations, hilarious incidents, and inside jokes. Each of us is very unique and individual in our own ways...

Brad: the best dry sense of humor, painfully awkward in an elevator, a great friend to D-Train, an amazing athlete, a huge heart for people with disabilities, has a great family (especially his mom) and a great taste in music (loves TS), makes a mean pot of french press coffee, very forgiving (especially if you say "y'all" or "friends" with a Texas twang)

Katie (sweet Katie): a laugh that makes you want to join in laughing, a deep care for others, a friend who wants to invest in your life, besties with Brandon Heath, persistent, loves Root Beer, intelligent when it comes to alternative musicians

Mat: always willing to give you a smile and a hug (and a wink if you're lucky), a deep thinker, adventurous, ready to take on the next phase of life, quite the well-rounded musician, shuffles cards like a Vegas dealer, always ready to give his honest opinion and best advice, sarcastic (in a good way)

Thank you to everyone at the Trust. You have made a huge impact on my life - more than you will ever know. I will always remember my time at Murdock with fond memories. I'm staying close by so I will definitely make sure to pop in every once in a while.

What I Will Remember Most...
- our homemade putt-putt course
- Picnic Tuesdays (grilled cheese and jam. yum!)
- 2 truths and a lie (or 3 lies)
- learning to juggle
- Beaches
- Table Topics (never an awkward silence)
- prank wars *wink*
- ball lunch
- giant M&Ms
- D-Train (Mark actually calling him D-Train)
- Being able to hear Terry from anywhere in the office
- chat's in Mary Hill's office
- conversations with Steve Garber
- walking to Starbucks together
- the Murdock book club
- people's reaction when you say "I'm with the Murdock Trust"

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I can just see you crying as you wrote this entry. I can only imagine how emotional yesterday was for you. Now on to the next great thing! "When we walk to the edge of all light we have and take that first step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe one of two things will happen---There will be something solid for us to stand on. Or, we will be taught how to fly." (Patrick Overton)
    I know this will be true for you. It always has been. Love you.

    ReplyDelete