Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Busy Saturday

I hit the ground running Saturday and didn't stop until I collapsed in bed late last night. It was a full and exhausting day, but fun and enjoyable at the same time. Yesterday morning from 8:00am - 1:00pm I helped out with Love Portland, an Imago Dei day of service in the community. My home community group combined with several other groups for a day of yard work at Marshall High School. We got our hands dirty by weeding, raking leaves, trimming bushes and trees, hauling the debris in wheel barrows, power washing the sidewalks, painting, and other various outdoor tasks. Who knew yard work could be so fun?! It was a perfect day and it was great to just spend time with friends and meet new people from the church.

The work didn't end there... After we finished cleaning up at the school, some of us drove to our friends Mark and Megan's house to help them move. We helped unpack the Uhaul at their new house and set a few things up. It was exciting to see the Little's new place and I can't wait to visit once they finish it all up!

Meanwhile, there was a garage sale going on at my house. My roommate Kathy, our friend Hannah decided to raise money for our Run4theCause benefit by selling some stuff we don't need anymore. Seeing how I moved up here with as little as possible, I didn't have much to contribute to the yard sale, but did manage to make 50 cents on an old can opener. Kathy and Hannah faired much better and will really be able to contribute to the cause.

Yesterday afternoon I went for a quick run then donned my jeans and boots and headed to the Canby Rodeo with some friends. Canby, Oregon is a small town about 30 miles south of Portland. My friend Katie got a group together to join in the fair and rodeo activities. We ate hot dogs and elephant ears while we watched bucking broncos and barrel racing and I cheered on the Texas boys. Everyone kept saying, "This must really feel like home to you." But the truth is, I've only been to a few rodeos in my life so it was a unique experience for me as well.

Overall, it was a great day full of hard work, fun, and great community. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow last night, though!

Action shot... I was probably saying something like, "There's what living in these bushes?"

Thanks for helping organize the Marshall event, Amber!

Matt cooling off after a long morning of work
by hitting the slip n' slide!

The Canby Rodeo... yee haw!

The rodeo groupies

1 comment:

  1. FUN Saturday!!! Yard work is exhausting...and moving! How were you still standing to go to the rodeo?!?!?

    ReplyDelete