Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ninfa's Green Sauce

I've really started to miss good Mexican food. I went to a little Mexican restaurant for happy hour on Friday and got a margarita. Worst margarita ever - it had orange juice in it! What I wouldn't give for night at Ninfa's. Fortunately, I ran across the recipe for Ninfa's green sauce and after an arduous search throughout Portland grocery stores for the "ethnic" ingredients, I was finally able to make the sauce. And I was shocked at how much it actually tastes like the yummy sauce that goes perfect with a Ninfarita and always whets my appetite for spinach enchiladas. So now every time my stomach growls due to its lack of Tex-Mex cuisine, I can just throw some tomatoes, avacadoes, and cilantro in a blender and make myself a little bowl of spicy happiness.

Ninfa's Green Sauce
Ingredients:
3 medium-sized green tomatoes, coarsely chopped (you can substitute yellow if you can’t find green ones, but never use red)
4 tomatillos, cleaned and chopped
1 to 2 jalapenos, stemmed and coarsely chopped
3 small garlic cloves
3 medium-sized ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
4 sprigs cilantro
1 tsp. of salt
1 cup sour cream (optional)

Combine chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to a boil (tomatoes provide the liquid), reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Place tomato mixture with the avocados, cilantro and salt in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into a bowl and stir in sour cream.

Makes 4 to 5 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment